| || |
THE ORIENTAL INSURANCE COMPANY LIMITED
Regd.Office:Oriental House,P.B.No.7037,A-25/27,Asaf Ali Road,New Delhi-110 002
INDIA MOTOR TARIFF w.e.f 01.07.2002 - Policy wording
STANDARD FORM FOR MOTOR TRADE PACKAGE POLICY
Whereas the insured by a proposal and declaration dated as stated in the Schedule which shall be the basis of this contract and is deemed to be incorporated herein has applied to the Company for the insurance hereinafter contained and has paid the premium mentioned in the schedule as consideration for such insurance in respect of accidental loss or damage occurring during the period of insurance:
NOW THIS POLICY WITNESSETH : That in respect of accidental loss or damage occurring during the period of insurance whilst insured vehicle is in a public place or is temporarily garaged during the course of a journey elsewhere than in or on any premises owned by or in the occupation of the insured and subject to the Terms Exceptions and Conditions contained herein or endorsed or expressed hereon,
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- For other details and time to time updates please refer to INDIA MOTOR TARIFF available on internet TAC website www.tac.org.in.
- LOSS OF OR DAMAGE TO THE VEHICLE INSURED
- The Company will indemnify the insured against loss or damage to the vehicle insured hereunder and/or its accessories whilst thereon.
- by fire explosion self ignition or lightning ;
- by burglary housebreaking or theft ;
- by riot and strike;
- by earthquake (fire and shock damage)
- by flood typhoon hurricane storm tempest inundation cyclone hailstorm frost
- by accidental external means
- by malicious act
- by terrorist activity
- whilst in transit by road rail inland waterway lift elevator or air
- by landslide/rockslide
Subject to a deduction for depreciation at the rates mentioned below in respect of parts replaced :
- For all rubber/ nylon / plastic parts, tyres and tubes, batteries and air bags - 50%
- For fibre glass components - 30%
- For all parts made of glass - Nil
- Rate of depreciation for all other parts including wooden parts will be as per the following schedule.
|AGE OF VEHICLE ||% OF DEPRECIATION |
|Not exceeding 6 months ||Nil |
|Exceeding 6 months but not exceeding 1 year ||5% |
|Exceeding 1 year but not exceeding 2 years ||10% |
|Exceeding 2 years but not exceeding 3 years ||15% |
|Exceeding 3 years but not exceeding 4 years ||25% |
|Exceeding 4 years but not exceeding 5 years ||35% |
|Exceeding 5 year but not exceeding 10 years ||40% |
|Exceeding 10 years ||50% |
Provided ALWAYS that the Company shall not be liable to make any payment in respect of
- consequential loss, depreciation, wear and tear, mechanical or electrical breakdown, failures or breakage's nor for damage caused by overloading or strain nor for loss or damage to accessories by burglary, housebreaking or theft unless the vehicle insured is stolen at the same time
- damage to tyres and tubes unless the vehicle insured is damaged at the same time in which case the liability of the Company is limited to 50% of the cost of the replacement.
- any accidental loss or damage suffered whilst the insured or any person driving the vehicle with the knowledge and consent of the insured is under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs.
In the event of the vehicle insured being disabled by reason of loss or damage covered under this Policy the Company will bear the cost of protection and removal to the nearest repairer and redelivery to the insured but not exceeding Rs. 150 in respect of any one accident.
Insured's Declared Value (IDV)
The Insured's Declared Value (IDV) of the vehicle will be deemed to be the 'SUM INSURED' for the purpose of this tariff and it will be fixed at the commencement of each policy period for each insured vehicle.
The IDV of the vehicle is to be fixed on the basis of manufacturers' listed selling price of the brand and model as the vehicle proposed for insurance at the commencement of insurance /renewal, and adjusted for depreciation (as per schedule specified below). The IDV of the side car(s) and / or accessories, if any, fitted to the vehicle but not included in the manufacturer's listed selling price of the vehicle is also likewise to be fixed.
The schedule of age-wise depreciation as shown below is applicable for the purpose of Total Loss/ Constructive Total Loss (TL/ CTL) claims only. A vehicle will be considered to be a CTL, as referred to above, where the aggregate cost of retrieval and / or repair of the vehicle subject to terms and conditions of the policy exceeds 75% of the IDV.
The depreciation for replacement of parts in partial loss claims will be as per a separate schedule specified under GR.9.
|AGE OF THE VEHICLE ||% OF DEPRECIATION FOR FIXING IDV |
|Not exceeding 6 months ||NIL |
|Exceeding 6 months but not exceeding 1 year ||15% |
|Exceeding 1 year but not exceeding 2 years ||20% |
|Exceeding 2 years but not exceeding 3 years ||30% |
|Exceeding 3 years but not exceeding 4 years ||40% |
|Exceeding 4 years but not exceeding 5 years ||50% |
NOTE: IDV of vehicles beyond 5 years of age and of obsolete models of the vehicles ( i.e. models which the manufacturers have discontinued to manufacture) is to be determined on the basis of an understanding between the insurer and the insured.
IDV shall be treated as the ‘Market Value’ throughout the policy period without any further depreciation for the purpose of Total Loss(TL)/ Constructive Total Loss(CTL) claims.
For the purpose of TL/CTL claim settlement this IDV will not change during the currency of the policy period in question. It is clearly understood that the liability of the insurer shall in no case exceed the IDV as specified in the policy schedule less the value of the wreck, in 'as is where is' condition.
- LIABILITY THIRD PARTIES
- Subject to the limits of liability as laid down in the Schedule hereto the Company will indemnify the insured in the event of an accident caused by or arising out of the use of the vehicle against all sums including claimant's costs and expenses which the insured shall become legally liable to pay in respect of:
- death of or bodily injury to any person caused by or arising out of the use (including the loading and/or unloading) of the vehicle.
- damage to property caused by the use (including the loading and/or unloading) of the vehicle.
- PROVIDED ALWAYS THAT
- The Company shall not be liable in respect of death, injury, or damage caused or arising beyond the limits of any carriageway or thoroughfare in connection with the bringing of the load to the vehicle insured for loading thereon or the taking away of the load from the vehicle insured after unloading there from.
- Except so far as is necessary to meet the requirements of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, the Company shall not be liable in respect of death of or bodily injury to any person in the employment of the Insured arising out of and in the course of such employment.
- Except so far as is necessary to meet the requirements of the Motor Vehicles Act,1988, in relation to liability under the Workmen's Compensation Act, 1923, the Company shall not be liable in respect of death of or bodily injury to any person (other than a passenger carried by reason of or in pursuance of a contract of employment) being carried in or upon entering or mounting or alighting from the vehicle insured at the time of occurrence of the event out of which any claim arises.
- The Company shall not be liable in respect of damage to property belonging to or held in trust by or in the custody or in the control of the insured or a member of the insured's household or being conveyed by the insured vehicle.
- The Company shall not be liable in respect of damage to any bridge and/or way bridge and/or via duct and/or to any road and/or any thing beneath by vibration or by the weight of the insured vehicle and/or load carried by the insured vehicle.
- The Company will pay all costs and expenses incurred with its written consent
- In terms of and subject to the limitations of the indemnity granted by this section to the insured the Company will indemnify any driver provided that such driver;
- is not entitled to indemnity under any other policy .
- shall as though he were the insured observe fulfill and be subject to the terms exceptions and conditions of this policy in so far as they apply
- The Company may at its own option
- arrange for representation at any Inquest or Fatal Inquiry in respect of any death which may be the subject of indemnity under this section and
- undertake the defence of proceedings in any court of law in respect of any act or alleged offence causing or relating to any event which may be the subject of indemnity under this section.
- In the event of the death of any person entitled to indemnity under this policy the company will in respect of the liability incurred by such person indemnify his personal representative(s) in the terms of and subject to the limitations of this policy provided that such personal representatives shall as though they were the insured observe fulfill and be subject to the terms exceptions and conditions of this Policy in so far as they apply.
- The insurance by Section I and II of this policy shall extend to any vehicle (mechanically propelled or otherwise) attached to the insured vehicle for the purpose of being towed
PROVIDED ALWAYS THAT:
- this extension shall not increase the Limits of Liability
- the Company shall not be liable under this policy in respect of damage to property conveyed by the towed vehicle
- the Company shall not be liable under this policy in respect of accident loss damage and/or liability caused sustained or incurred whilst the insured vehicle is towing a greater number of vehicles than is permitted by law.
AVOIDANCE OF CERTAIN TERMS AND RIGHT OF RECOVERY
Nothing in this policy or any endorsement hereon shall affect the right of any person indemnified by this policy or any other person to recover an amount under or by virtue of the provisions of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988.
But the insured shall repay to the Company all sums paid by the Company which the Company would not have been liable to pay but for the said provision
APPLICATION OF LIMITS OF INDEMNITY
In the event of any accident involving indemnity to more than one person, any limitation by the terms of this policy and/or of any endorsement hereon of the amount of any indemnity shall apply to the aggregate amount of indemnity to all persons indemnified and such indemnity shall apply in priority to the insured.
The Company shall not be liable under this policy in respect of
The Company shall not be liable in respect of any accidental loss damage and/or liability directly or indirectly proximately or remotely occasioned by contributed to by or traceable to or arising out of or in connection with war, invasion, the act of foreign enemies, hostilities or war like operations (whether before or after declaration of war) civil war, mutiny, rebellion, military or usurped power or by any direct or indirect consequences of any of the said occurrences and except under Section II - I (i) of this policy whilst the insured or any person driving with the general knowledge and consent of the insured is under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs and in the event of any claim hereunder the insured shall prove that the accidental loss damage and/or liability arose independently of and was in no way connected with or occasioned by or contributed to by or traceable to any of the said occurrences or any consequence thereof and in default of such proof the Company shall not be liable to make any payment in respect of such a claim.
- any accidental loss damage and/or liability caused sustained or incurred outside the geographical area
- any claim arising out of any contractual liability
- any accidental loss damage and/or liability caused sustained or incurred whilst the vehicle insured herein is
- being used otherwise than in accordance with the ‘Limitations as to Use’
- being driven by or is for the purpose of being driven by him in the charge of any person other than a driver
- any accidental loss or damage to any property whatsoever or any loss or expense whatsoever resulting or arising there from or any consequential loss
- any liability of whatsoever nature directly or indirectly caused by or contributed to by or arising from ionising radiations or contamination by radioactivity from any nuclear fuel or from any nuclear waste from the combustion of nuclear fuel. For the purposes of this exception combustion shall include any self-sustaining process of nuclear fission.
- any accidental loss damage or liability directly or indirectly caused by or contributed to by or arising from nuclear weapons material.
The Company shall not be liable for each and every claim under Section -1 (loss of or damage to the vehicle insured) of this Policy in respect of the deductible stated in the schedule.
This Policy and the Schedule shall be read together and any word or expression to which a specific meaning has been attached in any part of this Policy or of the Schedule shall bear the same meaning wherever it may appear.
- Notice shall be given in writing to the company immediately upon the occurrence of any accidental loss or damage and in the event of any claim and thereafter the insured shall give all such information and assistance as the Company shall require. Every letter claim writ summons and/or process shall be forwarded to the Company immediately on receipt by the insured. Notice shall also be given in writing to the Company immediately the insured shall have knowledge of any impending Prosecution Inquest or Fatal Inquiry in respect of any occurrence which may give rise to a claim under this policy. In case of theft or other criminal act which may be the subject of a claim under this policy the insured shall give immediate notice to the Police and cooperate with the Company in securing the conviction of the offender.
- No admission offer promise payment indemnity shall be made or given by or on behalf of the insured without the written consent of the Company which shall be entitled if it so desires to take over and conduct in the name of the insured the defence or settlement of any claim or to prosecute in the name of the insured for its own benefit any claim for indemnity or damages or otherwise and shall have full discretion in the conduct or any proceedings or in the settlement of any claim and the insured shall give all such information and assistance as the Company may require.
- At any time after the happening of any event giving rise to a claim or series of claim under sub-section I (ii) of Section II of this policy the Company may pay to the insured the full amount of the Company's liability under that Sub-Section and relinquish the conduct of any defence settlement or proceedings and the Company shall not be responsible for any damage alleged to have been caused to the insured in consequence of any alleged action or omission of the Company in connection with such defence settlement or proceedings or of the Company relinquishing such conduct nor shall the Company be liable for any costs or expenses whatsoever incurred by the insured or any claimant or other person after the Company shall have relinquished such conduct.
- The Company may at its own option repair reinstate or replace the vehicle or part thereof and/or its accessories or may pay in cash the amount of the loss or damage and the liability of the Company shall not exceed:
- for total loss / constructive total loss of the vehicle - the Insured's Declared Value (IDV) of the vehicle (including accessories thereon) as specified in the Schedule less the value of the wreck.
- for partial losses, i.e. losses other than Total Loss/Constructive Total Loss of the vehicle - actual and reasonable costs of repair and/or replacement of parts lost/damaged subject to depreciation as per limits specified.
- The Insured shall take all reasonable steps to safeguard the vehicle insured from loss or damage and to maintain it in efficient condition and the Company shall have at all times free and full access to examine the insured vehicle or any part thereof or any driver or employee of the insured. In the event of any accident or breakdown the insured vehicle shall not be left unattended without proper precautions being taken to prevent further damage or loss and if the vehicle be driven before the necessary repairs are effected, any extension of the damage or further damage to the vehicle shall be entirely at the insured's own risk.
- The Company may cancel the policy by sending seven days notice by recorded delivery to the insured at insured’s last known address and in such event will return to the insured the premium paid less the pro rata portion thereof for the period the Policy has been in force or the policy may be cancelled at any time by the insured on seven days’ notice by recorded delivery and provided no claim has arisen during the currency of the policy, the insured shall be entitled to a return of premium less premium at the Company's Short Period rates for the period the Policy has been in force. Return of the premium by the company will be subject to retention of the minimum premium of Rs.100/- (or Rs.25/- in respect of vehicles specifically designed/modified for use by blind/handicapped/mentally challenged persons). Where the ownership of the vehicle is transferred, the policy cannot be cancelled unless evidence that the vehicle is insured elsewhere is produced.
- If at the time any claim arises under this policy there is any other existing insurance covering the same loss damage or liability the Company shall not be liable to pay or contribute more than its rateable proportion of any loss damage compensation costs or expenses provided always that nothing in this condition shall impose on the Company any liability from which but for this condition it would have been relieved under proviso 3(a) of Section II of this policy.
- If any dispute or difference shall arise as to the quantum to be paid under this policy , (liability being otherwise admitted) such difference shall independently of all other questions be referred to the decision of a sole arbitrator to be appointed in writing by the parties to or if they cannot agree upon a single arbitrator within 30 days of any party invoking Arbitration, the same shall be referred to a panel of three arbitrators, comprising of two arbitrators-one to be appointed by each of the parties to the dispute / difference and a third arbitrator to be appointed by such two arbitrators who shall act as the presiding arbitrator and Arbitration shall be conducted under and in accordance with the provisions of the Arbitration and Conciliation Act, 1996.
- It is clearly agreed and understood that no difference or dispute shall be referable to Arbitration as herein before provided, if the Company has disputed or not accepted liability under or in respect of this policy.
It is hereby expressly stipulated and declared that it shall be condition precedent to any right of action or suit upon this policy that the award by such arbitrator/ arbitrators of the amount of the loss or damage shall be first obtained.
It is also hereby further expressly agreed and declared that if the Company shall disclaim liability to the insured for any claim hereunder and such claim shall not, within twelve calendar months from the date of such disclaimer have been made the subject matter of a suit in a court of law, then the claim shall for all purposes be deemed to have been abandoned and shall not thereafter be recoverable hereunder.
- The due observance and fulfillment of the terms conditions and endorsements of this policy in so far as they relate to anything to be done or complied with by the insured and the truth of the statements and answers in the said proposal shall be conditions precedent to any liability of the Company to make any payment under this policy.
On matters relating to any of the provisions of the India Motor Tariff, clarifications and interpretations given by the Tariff Advisory Committee will be final and binding on all concerned
Click Here To Download